Proposal for a new structure

Go down

Proposal for a new structure

Post  Charlotte on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Hey everyone,

I did not send you the whole document yet due to some important structure deficits that Marie and I recognized. When reading through the document, we had difficulties finding a real red thread within our research proposal. In other words, the aims, themes and individual research questions did not fully connect to each other and to our overall topic 'sustainability' which, in our opinion, made the proposal less convincing!

That is why we thought it over and put together a modified version of a proposal structure. Please comment on anything that is not clear to you / add any idea that would help to underline our main aim clearly, namely that this particular topic is crucial to research. Thanks!

Maybe another meeting concerning this would be necessary as well. What are your plans for tomorrow? Anything before 3pm would be doable for me.

Best, Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Proposal for a new structure

Post  olli on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:24 am

Hi!

I cannot open the .docx files. Can you change that?

Best,

Olli

olli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:49 am

Hey,

I am sorry. here you go!

Best, charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvette on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 am

Hi,

I like your proposal. Can you maybe also upload the way it looks now? Smile That way we can all have a look at it and see how we can improve things.
I agree that we should have a meeting about this.

I can't make it today anymore, so I suggest tomorrow, somewhere between 10.30 and 14 would be doable for me. Or a short meeting at 15.

Groet, Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 am

Hey,

this is how it could look like. I was in a rush, so I hope it did not leave out or confused anything. (document is called 'structure of research proposal, just in case the google group document list is too confusing)

Please comment on this and the last document until tonight. We need to be clear about it soon!

Best, Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvette on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:44 am

Hi,
I agree, it's a good idea. I think it makes a lot more sense this way.
and this explains what we are actually doing and I think should be our red thread:
"It is important to also consider the European dimension to ensure integration of all partners.
Integration of all leads to a (re)formation of City Image with which all participating groups are able to identify."

What do you mean with "duty of caring"?

Groet, Yvette

PS: I didn't see the timetable, budget, interview list and references in your structure. Don't forget those Smile they're all on the forum
Groet, Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:56 pm

hey,

Yvette thanks for your reply! What is going on with everyone else? I would really appreciate it if you could reply to this. Otherwise I cannot put everyting together.

So please comment whether you agree with this new structure or not.

Best, Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  marie on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

hey,

I have the same problem as Charlotte. I cannot do the justification if we are not clear about what our aims will be and how they can be linked to the themes which the RQs need to be linked to. one major point Giselle criticized in her feedback of the first draft proposal was that we did not link the justifications to the aims. I tried to do that now to make the proposal more convincing, but it was not really possible. That is also the reason why Charlotte and I found out that the current structure is not coherent and then tried to come up with the new one.
Please reply and give feedback to the proposal Charlotte posted so we can continue the work.

Thanks a lot.

All the best, Marie

marie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:34 am

I like it! However, I'm not happy with the second aim. The aims should be something everyone can work with and I am not concerned with city image at all. An aim on sustainability would be better. Wasn't that the one before?

Consequently I have problems with extending the justification along this line, "integration of all leads to reformed city image". What was wrong with our prior reasoning: Integration of all makes process sustainable. That is also a red thread, just replace the aim on city image with an aim on sustainability which is also our research question. The aims have to lead us to out research question somehow, right? I think you lost that part a little in your proposal, everything seems to be concerned with city image now which is really just a sub-topic. I think if you just replace city image with sustainability, its perfect!

Making European Dimension a subtopic of Integration works well I think, we don't even have to give it its own name. Its just part of Integration.

edit: Now I am reviewing Marie and I see the problem. You think we have to answer every aim with one theme. That is absolutely not the case. We have 2 aims everyone has to answer and organize ourselves into two themes apart from that. Everyone still has to answer both aims within his/her theme.

Jakob
Admin

View user profile http://ecoc.gooforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Jakob,

you uploaded the corrected document on Relevance/justification at the google group right? Did you orginally use 'track changes'? I did not see any so it is hard for me to see a difference to Marie's first document. Maybe it is a problem if ubuntu, I don't know. Could you maybe upload it again with tracked changes?

That would be great. Thanks!
Best, charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Fuck, it deleted my comments... I used track changes but I guess open office doesn't handle docx to well. Can we please avoid this format? Forever?

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:20 pm

it's ok, Marie just uploaded the document with the latest comments in 'doc' format. I would agree that we avoid 'docx' format forever. Ubuntu does not like it at all: )

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 pm

but I can still see my changes in Maries new document. Do you not see them at all? I just don't see my comments, my changes are there in colour...

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I see all changes now, because she uploaded it in 'doc' format. But I don't see your comments...

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:33 pm

yeah, they are gone. What about keeping the second aim sustainability? I dont think city image works for either or RQ nor some of our individual projects. The aims have to be answered by everyone.

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey Jakob,

I understand your point. But let me explain what we meant exactly.

The overall/ main aim that we derive from our core question is to help Maastricht to ensure a sustainable positive effect and avoid former mistakes. So in other words, through our research we can provide them with infos on how to ensure sustainable effects (since in the past former ECOCs made mistakes that unabled a sustainable effect).

The first and foremost aim is then supported by two sub-aims, integration and city/regional image.
That is why we formulated the two aims:

1.Identify expectations and aims of different groups who need to be integrated in the event
2. Identify ways to (re)form city/regional image and make use of it

Our individual research questions are then subordinated to these sub-aims. As you said your RQ is not related to city image, and for instance mine is not directly to the first sub-aim. It is just somehow related to integration in the sense that in my methodology I will focus on the inhabitants which have not been really integrated in the process in former ECOCs...

So for the description of the aims, we should just make it explicit that there is a main aim and two sub-aims.

...could I make it clear?

All the best, Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes, I get your point and I think the restructuring was necessary and it was important to make the connection clear. However, I don't see WHY city image enters the equation. I don't see the connection between sustainability and city image automatically, unless you are already talking about a specific city image which we are not at this point. However, I do see the point that sustainability can be the overarching goal having to sub-goals. I will try to make this clear in the introduction tomorrow when I revise the part finally.

The problem which still remains is, however, that the aims have to be answered by everyone and I don't do anything with city image unless I really stretch my discussion. From my perspective the same is true for Yvette, Hanna and Olli, so as an overall aim this is just not feasible. It is already a separate theme, so making it also an aim is actually destroying our structure, not enhancing it.

Once again: Aims for everyone, Themes to separate us into subgroups. They should not be identical.

If I am the only one who would have to start a new discussion in his paper to include city image, we can do it, I'll just be collateral damage, that's fine. But I think I'm not and some other papers would also work very well without this issue.

See you!
Jakob.

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey Jakob,

ok, I see your point as well. But could you outline here, how you would formulate the aims, connect them to the themes and to the RQs? That would help to get a better idea..

Thanks!
Groetjes, Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:44 pm

I think we can use our original aims if we make the connections more explicit along the lines you suggested i.e.:

RQ: how can it be sustainable?

can only be achieved if all are involved and work towards it (as we will show in the literature review and the justifications where we show what happen it NOT everyone was involved: unsustainable) hence 2 aspects to consider:

• see what people want, expectations, raise awareness of these differences (Aim 1)

find out how (if?) participatory atmosphere can be created to include all potential actors and energies (Aim 2)

these are our original RQ and 2 aims, I would just have to rewrite the intro and aims a bit to make it more explicit and Marie has change 2-3 sentences when introducing the second aim, that's all

These aims are very broad, of course, so we will look at them from two different perspectives:

• the integration issue as there can be many obstacles, its not just about knowing the aims and creating the atmosphere but also differing perspectives (male/female; public;elite) diverging interests (small vs. large scale art) and communication problems (European Dimension) (Theme 1) [we can give different points for the single projects, just an idea, I know that Hanna is not writing about communication problems ;-) ]

the city image issue as this is of course influenced by everything and influences everything and so forth, you can give a much better summary here than me. (Theme 2)

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 am

Hey,

if we go this way, I have to bend my topic. I am sure that Marie and Thijs also would have to do so.
Concerning the first aim:
1. see what people want, expectations, raise awareness of these differences (Aim 1)

I am not investigating expectations directly, since I will try to find out an independent, unbiased image of the population about the region. When you say 'raise awareness of these differences' I can indirectly do so, granted that there is not a clear common image of the region.

Concering the 2nd aim:
2. find out how (if?) participatory atmosphere can be created to include all potential actors and energies
My goal to come up with a common image, that can be used by cultural actors as theoretical input is not exactly in line with this aim. I can try to go indirectly this way.

Do you see the conflict here?
...I do see your point that aims and themes should rather not be identical. I would like to know what the others think about this.

best, charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:54 am

so we have the same problem, the aims don't really fit our projects. Maybe if we introduce it a bit differently and state very clearly that the aims are going to be answered by all the projects combined so not every single project answers every issue we raise, we can avoid this problem somehow. How about if I just include one or two sentences on city image in the description of the first aim where we describe the status quo. Perceptions of city image can be very closely connected to expectations for the ECOC I think.

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 am

hey Jakob,

I think that could be a good way to solve this issue!
Best, Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:20 am

perfect, I'll wait till Hanna is done and then I'll proofread the thing and edit my part.

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down