wishlist Olli

Go down

wishlist Olli

Post  olli on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:08 am

Dear all,

at the moment I am working out a revised version of the Methodology part along the lines of the feedback.

Yet, I realize that I don't have exact information about how the research will be carried out (questions asked in a survey/interview, who to ask, etc.) which was something that Giselle wanted to know. For my own part, I am quite clear how the interviews/survey should look like. But I can't only write from my perspective. Thus, I am writing still very general about "the interviews" and "the survey" as our common denominator, which will be somehow of importance for all of us. Therefore, I would like you to fix me with some specific ideas of your research, so I can use them as illustration.

Best,

Olli

olli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wishlist Olli

Post  Yvette on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:06 am

Hi,

in the surveys, off course I want to ask them about their gender, but also educational background, marital status and age. And I want to ask them about cultural activities and what they think a capital of culture should be; the best way to do this is give them some options a they choose from that.

in the qualitative interviews I want to ask actually the same as above; the cultural activities they want, what they think is necessary to become ECOC etc.

Groet, Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 am

hey Olli,

you can find my methodology part here.
I included a justification and literature references as well. I did not shorten anything, so that you can get a good idea about my research to then compare it to the others and derive conclusions from them.

Giselle commented also that we have to write why we target certain groups and why the amount is representative. Since we are collecting contact data under Yvette and Thijs section, I will start a discussion about that there.

Additionally, Giselle recommended that we should include and outline the research sequence (the timetable) to the methodology. For the first draft, we basically used your version. However, I designed one according to my research as well. Maybe everyone can do that to compare and then find common ground. I think Yvette and Thijs are taking care of the timetable as well. I will post mine there as well.

best, charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:06 pm

copy pasted from what I wrote for the first draft, nothing major changed for me in this regard, I think. Whenever something changed, I put it in italics so feel free to only read those.

Methodology:

Steps:
  • First, I am trying to get into touch with protest movement in ex-ECOC’s to find out if this is even a problem. I am already in touch with Stefan Haslinger (KUPF) in Linz and Anita Hofer in Graz who were busy organizing protest against the ECOC in their respective cities. I will have to wait for more input on that front (also contacted Dr. Hatto Fischer who supposedly knows much about this issue) before I can decide how big the issue actually is. E-mail contact probably counts as qualitative interviewing. I received answers from Graz and Hatto Fischer now and at the conference talked to a professor from the Regional Development Center in Pecs who reported the same problem. Also saw a report on TV today where an artist complained about the free art scene being excluded in Ruhr2010. Will try to contact her.

• Second, I will have to get in touch with the local small scale art scene, I don’t know who they are yet, maybe the people at the lbb can help me. They will be a big focus, I have to find out how much they know about the process, if they want to be involved or not and how they could imagine such an involvement. Qualitative interviews will be the weapon of choice again. This is my biggest construction site, will go to dinner in lbb tomorrow to start this issue.

• Third, I have to get into touch with the people who are organizing the bid. This can probably be done in conjunction with others, I would just have to attach a few questions about the issue of inclusiveness. I can imagine very well that the authorities don’t want the project to be exclusive so maybe we might even still be able to influence the process. We will have to decide together how we want to carry out these interviews since these guys probably don’t want to answer similar questions to 7 people so lets figure out some theme interviews together. Maybe we can even interview them as a group?

• Fourth, since we probably will include the public in some way, I would like to attach 1-2 questions to a potential survey about if the people think that a consideration of small scale art projects is even important and if they want these to be part of the public image of the city. This would be a quantitative part.

• Fifth, I will have to make a connection to the general idea behind the ECOC, is it designed for such an inclusive approach as I advocate here or is the intention maybe another one, more focused on European integration rather than local integration. This last part will be based on secondary literature.

Wish List:
  • 2 questions in quantitative surveys to public

• some questions to authorities concerned with application

• some questions to municipality

• first two points under “methodology” seem to be only for me so far, if someone else could use information from these people, lets work together!

Jakob
Admin

View user profile http://ecoc.gooforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  olli on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:48 am

Hi evrybody,

please find the revised version of the methodology part sendspace.com 8hmkzx. I didnt fix all the RQ's as they are not online yet. I will do that in the course of the day when you post them in Jakobs thread.

@ Charlotte: can you please provide me with the references for McCarthy as well as Echtner and Brentie.

Have a good day,

Olli

olli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 am

Hey Olli,

sure, here are the references:

McCarthy, J. (1998).Reconstruction, Regeneration and Re-Imaging – The Case of Rotterdam Cities, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 337-344.

Echtner, C. M. & Brentie, R. J.R. (2003). The Meaning and Measurement of Destination Image. The Journal of Tourism Studies . Vol. 14, No. 1, May 2003, 37

See you tomorrow,
Charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 am

p.s. I think I posted my RQ. I will change it and upload the newest version in the section 'Uploaded papers'.

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum