Wishlist Jakob (Research Questions!)

Go down

Wishlist Jakob (Research Questions!)

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:12 am

Hey guys! I really need you research questions, I don't want to use the old ones and then be out of date. Please give me a 1-2 sentence problem statement and your research questions so that I can incorporate it in the introductory part. This is also important for Hanna and Marie I think.

edit: Bas' points 3 and 4 are about just this so it is really necessary to rephrase them.

Last edited by Jakob on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Jakob
Admin

View user profile http://ecoc.gooforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wishlist Jakob (Research Questions!)

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:13 am

Here is mine:

Problem Statement:
The focus of many past ECOC's on large, high profile cultural industry has in many cases (Linz, Graz, Pecs, I'll find more) led to an alienation of the local, free arts scene and thus squandered energies which could be employed in making the project more sustainable (for definition of sustainability see "General" area). Because of the increasingly economic nature of the cultural sector in general and the ECOC initiative in specific (Oerters, Betz) this development lies in the nature of the project.

Research Question:
Does Maastricht have this problem? (It is in the nature of the process so of course it does, the question is just there fore style ;-) ) How can Maastricht integrate local and regional actors who are concerned with small scale projects into the process?

Last edited by Jakob on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 am

Problem Statement:
Former studies on image change of ECOCs showed that especially cultural activities seemed to be a flexible and suitable tool for creating image value (see Richards, 2004). Although this has been acknowledged, past ECOCs failed to create a consistent image of their cities. This is due to an ignorance towards the various agents that engage in image formation. In particular the local population and its cultural dynamics were never fully incorporated in the process ( Kokosalakis, Bagnall et al, 2006). Therefore, the problem of establishing a long lasting positive image seems to lie in the nature of the approach to that matter.

Research Question:
What can be a feasible approach for designing a final image to be promoted by Maastricht ECOC 2018? How can it be useful for the creation of cultural activities even after 2018?

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  olli on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 am

Problem Statement:
Previous case studies have shown that competing visions about how the ECOC event should be used existed in former host cities (Boland, 2010; Jones & Wilks-Heeg, 2004; Mooney, 2004; Garcia, 2005, Keating & de Frantz, 2004). Combined with a top-down approach in which business and policy interests prevailed over the aims and needs of local communities, this often led to frustrations within these. If the local population is incorporated and their visions taken into consideration, a long-term perspective can be added to the event because community initiatives will carry over the dynamics of the event, which can serve as an impetus. It is suggested that a similar situation prevails in Maastricht, where competing views about Maastricht ECOC 2018 exist. Thus the aim is to identify the elite/community discourses surrounding Maastricht's candidacy and to present them to the population in order to avoid its marginalization in the process.

Research Question:
How do the elite discourses relate to the public's expectations?

olli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

new ps and rq

Post  thijsdeckers on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:57 am

Problem Statement:
The Maastricht region (southern part of the province of Limburg) is an ageing region. High educated young people move out to the ‘Randstad’ and the babyboom generation is retiring. The municipalities in the Maastricht region have all their concerns about this ageing society. Municipalties think that culture could form a counter pressure against this shrinking and ageing society. The question is if culture play’s such a big role in the change of the city image that it can attract people to the region. ECOC 2018 could be seen as a final goal to achieve an image change in the Maastricht region. Interesting will be what the local governments think about ECOC 2018 and how they value the event as an opportunity to change the image that is needed to attract young people to live, work and recreate in this region.

Research Question:
Is culture capable of changing the image of the region and also the demographical situation in the Maastricht region?

thijsdeckers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:02 pm

I think your part is more about city image then about expectations so I'll change it in the post "Themes Research Proposal" which you can find under "General". I'll group you with Charlotte in the research setup, not with Olli.

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvette on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:33 am

Hi,

Problem Statement:
The European Union's policy on gender equality is mainstreaming gender equality: it should be considered at all levels and activities. One of the Union's projects is the European Capital of Culture compitition. According to its own policy gender equality is considered in this project. But is it? Literature has shown that men and women participate in different cultural activities. Maastricht is making plans how to become the ECOC in 2018. In order to be a sustainable project and to mainstream gender equality, it is necessary to attract both the men and women of Maastricht by considering the different ideas that men and women have of culture and a capital of culture.

Research Question:
Is gender equality considered in the project Maastricht ECOC 2018? Do the expectations of men and women of a Capital of Culture differ and are these differences considered by the organization?

I'm not sure yet if this is the final version of my question. Because it's not linked to the main question (comment of Bas).

Groet, Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

some issues related to research questions

Post  hanna on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:36 pm

I will add my new research question tomorrow.

Marie, do you have an updated version?

Thijs, your focus on demographics is new, can you give me some notes and references on that for the literature review?

Did you guys, Olli and Thijs, somehow consider what Baas said, i.e. to do explicit research and expectations? It is no longer our overall RQ but could still be of use...

hanna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  olli on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi Hanna,

I actually do not have in mind to theorize on expectations. I rather leave out the word and avoid opening another barrel.

See you tomorrow,

Olli

olli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hanna final research question

Post  hanna on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:09 am

Problem Statement:

In previous ECOCs the European dimension was rather neglected. Local city culture was priviledged over European culture (as in teh case of Glasgow, 1990). If transborder cooperation in cultural events has taken place, then it was of a rather international character lacking strong references to the European nature of the ECOC (ECOC 2000: tentative attempt at creating a 'European cultural space'). So far, long-lasting legacies what regards border transcending cultural initatives initiated during an ECOC are rather scarce and ECOCs have fallen short of sustainability in long-term crossborder cooperation, which would ultimately be able to strengthen a region in the long run.

How do actors aim at strengthening the European dimension of the ECOC Maastricht?

Concerning the CAN instead of the HOW:
I don't know if we should actually strengthen our project's 'policy advise' dimension because I doubt that we will be able to do so. We are primarily doing research in april in order to gather data and there doesn't seem to be time for a real follow-up in form of a gathering with decision-makers.

I'd like to discuss this as a group tomorrow.

All the best,
Hanna

Last edited by hanna on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

hanna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:17 am

how about replacing 'do' with 'can'? That would give it a policy recommendation dimension. What should I take as your problem statement?

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvette on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:30 am

Hi,

I would like to hear you opinion on my subquestion:

Is gender equality considered in the project Maastricht ECOC 2018? Do the expectations of the men and women of Maastricht of a Capital of Culture differ and are these differences considered by the organization?

Is it clear and 'problematic' enough?

Groet,
Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  olli on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:41 am

I would consider this an appropriate and problematic research question on which you certainly will be able to generate results Shocked

olli

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 am

Yep, but as I suggested for Hannas question, I would change the last part to "how can these differences be considered..." to be able to give policy recommendations.

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvette on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks!

this is my new question
How can the project of Maastricht ECOC 2018 mainstream gender equality? Do the expectations of the men and women of Maastricht of a Capital of Culture differ and and how can the organization use these differences to gain sustainability?

I think it's better this way, but your comments are welcome Wink
Groet, Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 am

I don't quite get what the first of these questions has to do with your research? Isn't the second one enough?

Jakob
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum