Research Questions

Go down

Research Questions

Post  Jakob on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:43 am

Here is what we came up with as the general research question today. It took us ages to find something problematic and general enough to encompass all our questions.

Research Question:
How can Maastricht avoid the mistakes of past ECOC's which have found it hard to carry the positive dynamics created through the process of being an ECOC into the future, ie: make them sustainable?

Maybe everyone can leave a reply here saying in what way his or her research could relate to this question? This would help us to retain an overview about what all of us are concerned with and I need it to write the intro ;-)

Jakob
Admin

View user profile http://ecoc.gooforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Research Questions

Post  marie on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:59 pm

hey,

I will focus on the social impact of art/culture. Hence how the event of ECOC can be made sustainable for society/the population and especially the local population; or how they can profit from the event in the long run.
So far I cannot define entirely what exactly I will refer to by sustainable profit for the population. That will also be part of my research I guess. I think that it is important to know what is at all possible in this field and how to achieve it in order to avoid the mistakes that former ECOCs made by often leaving out the local population and concentrating on attracting tourists...

What do you think of it?

Best, Marie

marie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlotte on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:21 am

Hey,

I will research the image perception that inhabitants of the region have about the region. The goal is to find common characteristics and common cultural elements that can create a unified character/image of the region. This approach is independent of what kind of image the organizers would like to establish and promote for ECOC 2018. Since the public is most probably not informed about any specific actions for the bid book 2012, they will not be biased when surveyed. Thus I will hopefully retrieve a true picture from the answers of what the image perception of the region about the region is. This 'common image' can be used creative input for any cultural activity that aims to present the region (thus not only for ECOC, but in general). My outline for this approach will be of course somehow theoretical and tentative. But I think the importance is that it creates an image from mainly the inhabitants' perceptions (here is the conncetion to the themes: 1. Image, 2. Integration)

I hope I could make it clear...

to Marie,
I like your approach so far. I guess you are still researching on the topic to answer the problems that you outlined. So, right now I don't have any suggestions...

groetjes, charlotte

Charlotte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yvette on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:53 am

Hi,

if this project wants to have longterm effects, I believe it's necessary to mainstream gender equality. If men and women are not interested in the same cultural activities, this should be considered by the organisation. For example if they are planning cultural activities, that will mainly attract women, they are not attracting the entire population, which I think is crucial to be sustainable. And if the organisation for example only consists of men, then women do not have a say in the plans for the project. Then the project will not have staying power.

Groet,
Yvette

Yvette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down